Frequently Asked Questions

Answer all of your questions

No. In France, there are over 1,300 higher education programmes in English. Especially in engineering (all branches), management, hospitality, fashion studies, economics, etc courses are taught in English. So you don't have to learn French to complete your studies in France and obtain a degree. Nonetheless, even if you are taking courses in English, you will still be living in France. Speaking French, at least to some extent, enables you to more easily integrate your community and to enjoy your stay even more. Moreover, it will always be useful to know how to speak and write French, even after you leave France. More than 270 million people speak French around the world, and in nearly 30 countries, French is an official language, either by law or in practice. French is also the language of diplomacy: it is one of the work and official languages of the UN and many international organisations such as the European Union and the Red Cross.
You can learn French in a large number of training centres in France. Adapted to beginners and also higher levels, for a short or long stay, you will find the class best-suited to you. To ensure you learn French in the right conditions, we suggest the centres labelled "qualité FLE" (FFL quality). This certification for French training centres is a guarantee of quality linguistic training. We can help you find the best-suited French courses to you.
Mostly GMAT is required for the MBA programs, and certain other management programmes. However, there are several MBA programs that also accept candidature without the GMAT score. GRE is certainly not required. Most institutes are comfortable with the level of English and do not necessarily ask for a TOEFL or IELTS, with some exceptions. If a course is in French then a standard test like the DELF, TCF or DALF may be required.
Language learning varies from person to person. Normally, a minimum of six months is required to acquire a very basic level of French and a year of French learning takes one to an intermediary level at institutes like the CUEF Grenoble (Grenoble University Centre for French Language Learning).
There is no predetermined set of equivalences between French and foreign degrees is officially recognized in France. A bachelor’s degree in France is obtained after 3 years of studies after the baccalaureate, a Master is 5 years after the baccalaureate and a Doctorate is acquired after 8 years of higher education post baccalaureate. Each institution in France is free to set its own admission criteria and make its own admission decisions based on each applicant's background and the demands of the program to which the applicant seeks admission. That freedom allows French institutions to compose well-qualified and well-balanced student cohorts, while also protecting the integrity and the reputation of the education offered
The Baccalaureate is recognized to be the equivalent of the A’ Level in Ghana.
No. The word “diplome” is used to signify a qualification in France. The word degree does not exist in French. A “Diplome d’Ingenieur” for instance, is a title that is equivalent to the M-tech degree. Thus a diplome does not mean a diploma.
Unlike in Ghana, a Polytechnique in France usually regroups several specialist colleges and awards Bachelor’s degree in Science and Technology, Master degree in Science, Master’s in Technology and the PhD. However, in Ghana the Polytechnics usually confer vocational diplomas. Polytechnique are thus excellent colleges of advanced technology in France.
France offers many scholarships. 1 out of 7 candidates get some form of financial aid. The French Embassy in Ghana offers the incentive scholarships, the French ministry of External affairs offers the Eiffel grants of excellence, the institutions in France themselves may waive certain fees, there are corporate scholarships offered by Thales and so many more.
One will be required to undergo a medical test by a French doctor on reaching France, at the time when one applies for the “carte de séjour” or the temporary resident permit. However, it is advisable to carry a certified copy, of one's immunization schedule from Ghana, by a registered medical practitioner.
To get a French VISA, the student has to take an insurance for a minimum duration of three months. The insurance should start from the date of departure and should cover medical expenses and repatriation. It also guarantees a cover of up to 50000 US dollars. Companies like VANGUARD INSURANCE in Ghana, provide these kind of insurances.
If the student is taking the long stay student VISA, then from Ghana he can get a 9 or 12 months validity of the French VISA with the words “authorise travail à titre accessoire ” written on your passport. The Carte de Séjour is, in such a case, renewable for the whole stay. The Carte de Séjour enables the student to benefit from the French Social Security. For Temporary Resident Permit, the student must submit several documents at the local “Prefecture de Police”.
International students coming for programmes more than 6 months duration, from countries outside the European Union, must get a long-term students visa from the French consulate

The students who are entitled to the Carte de séjour may benefit of the lodging assistance allowance offered by the French state depending on the family resources. The candidate’s international office at their respective university, will guide the student for the application process.

You should get your birth certificate, school certificates and degrees translated into French.

An international student identity card enables you to access youth hostels for short stays while traveling at discounted prices. You can get this from ISIC .

It is the monthly travel pass valid in the Metro, Tram and the Buses in Paris.

To live in France, you will need to have a monthly budget of 600 to 800 Euros to cover food, transport and housing expenses. Of course, this amount varies depending on the location or type of accommodation.

There are many scholarships available different in various criteria:

  • Paying authority (French government, foundation, company, etc.)
  • Target audience (students in PhD, Masters’ course, etc.)
  • Recipient’s nationality
  • Amount of the scholarship
  • Duration of the scholarship

For additional information regarding, check out CampusBourses tool:

Regarding French government scholarships:

Scholarship applications accepted by the French government are filed at the cultural service of the French embassy of your country of residence.

Criteria to choose applicants depend on the cooperation programs concluded between the French government and the authorities of the country concerned. Scholarships are generally granted to high level students (masters’ or PhD). The duration of the project depends on the project. Applications are processed in the month of March preceding the academic start of year, so you should file your application as early as possible.

Didn't find the answer?